Monday, March 16, 2009

CHILAQUILES!



What to do with a bag of tortilla chips and a jar of salsa?


The above recipe is from Moosewood's Low Fat Cookbook, and it. is. awesome. I made mine with black beans, frozen corn, tomatoes, onions, salsa, Swiss chard, and pepper jack... and of course the crushed tortilla chips. I only used half the amount of cheese called for in the recipe because that's all I had, but it was plenty. 

The bottom layer of crushed chips turns into a salty cornmeal, while the top stays a bit more crusty. You could serve this with more salsa, or sour cream, but it's great as is.  Cheap, easy, delicious... it doesn't get any better than that. Plus you get to yell "CHILAQUILES!" as you cook.

I must say I have become a convert to dried beans instead of canned. It's a little extra effort, but they have so much more flavor, it's lovely. I boil up a pot on Sunday and then have them ready to go for the week's meals.



0 comments: