Thursday, March 20, 2008

Behind the dirt is secret dirt.

I've been going over to the new house mornings or afternoons before or after work, to get started on cleaning. And boy is it dirty. Every layer of grime I scrub away reveals another layer of filth. The previous owners lived there for about seven years, and while they did some nice home improvement projects, it doesn't appear they cleaned all that often. I myself am an unapologetic slob, but I do have limits, and I draw those lines way before a quarter inch thick layer of dust accumulates on top of a cabinet. I think.

The sellers also had two cats, one long-haired, and my god the unholy cat hair. Again, I know the joys of wearing dog hair on my sweaters, but seriously. I could wear my dog hair on a sweater made of the cat hair I have collected from the floors in this house. I picked up a couple of floor vents and they looked like they were wearing beards. Being allergic to cats, the cleaning process has involved sneezes that sound like my lungs are exorcising demons rather than mere hairballs, but I think I've finally got it to the point where I can walk through and breathe, even if everything is still covered in a layer of gunk.

Next comes painting, which I am eager to get over and done with. As a professional faux finisher, I'm under some pressure to do something amazing with my own walls (apparently people haven't heard the one about the cobbler's kids), but I have to confess I'm a little short on ideas at the moment. I don't want to slap on 'just any' finishes all over and then have to live with them for the next 20 years. I'd rather just get some good colors up and wait for inspiration to strike when it comes to faux, which is exactly what I plan to do.

0 comments: