Friday, July 10, 2009

Life without cable......

Much like everyone else in America, Erin and I have had our butts kicked in by the recession. I picked the perfect time to start working for a company whose bread and butter solely relies on the the building of houses, and Erin's trade is dependant on people upgrading their houses. Needless to say, we got kicked in the financial butt pretty hard.

One of our first financial layoffs we had to make at home was cable television. Cable has been in my life since I was a wee lad. My father (always being ahead of the curve) saw to it that we were the first people on our block to have cable. We were the second to have a VCR so he refused to let that travesty happen again. (Actually I can't remember, which came first? The VCR or cable? It's kind of like the chicken and the egg isn't it?) Cable practically raised me from a latch key kid to a crummy lover of a boyfriend.

When the time came it really was a no-brainer. It's hard to justify spending $100 a month when I had just been given a 10% pay cut at work. Besides, football season had already ended so there really was no excuse. The only thing I was gonna miss was Countdown with Keith Olbermann but hey, Obama had already won so mission accomplished.

We decided instead to get a subscription to Netflix which has been a real blessing in disguise. What we do is, we get the best TV series that are out there and we watch entire seasons. So without further ado I would like to point out some of the best series that we have watched and recommend some to you.

Mad Men - This was one of our favorites. If you have never seen this show before, that link will take you to the very first episode. If the first episode doesn't hook you in then you can go straight to hell. If you have seen both seasons, don't talk to me because Season 2 is coming out this week.

Battlestar Galactica - We are talking about the re-imagined series that just concluded a few months ago. If dorking out to sci-fi is anything of interest to you, then this is the one. I only wish that these guys who re-did Battlestar had re-done Star Wars. This show is borderline genius. In the 5 seasons that were created, I would say that 8 episodes sucked. The beauty of this show were the season ending cliff hangers. That is what kept us hooked. I'm sorry, I meant this is what we frackin' loved about the show.

Breaking Bad - This is another AMC drama that had me hooked right from the start. It stars the dad from Malcolm in the Middle as a high school chemistry teacher who learns that he has lung cancer. So he does what any normal person with a chemistry degree does when he finds out he has a year left to live. He becomes a Crystal Meth cook. I mean, why not? right? It almost seems like the show was written by some geek who knew a lot about chemistry and writing but could never kick anyone's ass. So instead he creates this alternate universe where chemistry guys are really hardcore. This show is not a good recommendation for the family or for people who are hypochondriacs especially about the cancer.

So these are our picks - if you have any other favorites please let us know. Currently we are watching Weeds. A show that has definitely "grown" on us (ha ha).

0 comments: