Thursday, July 9, 2009

Some favorite things

The following are some of my favorite things and places on the internet:

*GOOP. Goop has gotten such a pounding in the press, but I really don't understand why. It's true that I am probably never going to be able to use the issue about things to see in Paris, but many of the issues are useful or interesting, and I think Gwyneth's tone is friendly and unpretentious. Maybe I'm biased because this is the one celebrity with whom I am convinced I would be BFFs if we ever met, in a slightly creeper stalkerish way but not really. But I always loved her, even before I painted her house on Long Island a couple of years ago. I enjoyed her issue about Party Jams, and I have to say she totally rocks just based on the fact that her Party Jam list introduced me to Jaydiohead ... seriously, how cool is that?

*Ikea Hacker. I do love me some Ikea, and yet what's even cooler than Ikea is this website where random contributers show off their Ikea "hacks" - Ikea furniture and accessories that have been repurposed, chopped up and reassembled, or embellished in all sorts of creative ways. I don't really have the motivation or the motor skills to try something like this myself - or wait, I did use a pot hanger as a picture frame display, but that's pretty rudimentary. I am amazed by bedroom makeover hacks like these.

*Dogeared Jewelry. If you are not a girl, you may not be interested in this site; however, if you know any girls, this would be a good place to buy gifts. I am always a sucker for trinkets and amulets with special meanings, and a lot of these pieces come on a card with a message or fortune or set of magic words. The jewelry itself is simple but pretty.

*Run Pee. This is an ingenious idea and I totally wish I'd thought of it. If you like going to the movies but you hate having to miss part of the film while you dash to the restroom or refill your soda, next time make sure to look up the movie on Run Pee first. It lets you know specifically when to take your breaks without missing any of the action. Highly recommended for pregnant ladies and anyone with Overactive Bladder Syndrome.

*What Should I Read Next. Another great idea. It works somewhat like Netflix's movie recommendations in that it compares the books you like with the reading lists of others who liked those books, and makes recommendations. You can input as many books as you like, and also only select certain things from your list to get a recommendation - so for example, if you're in the mood for a mystery, include only the mysteries from your list of books you've read, and you'll get a recommendation based on that. They also have a beta site for film and music.

*FAIL blog. In terms of Internet culture, this is a slightly musty classic by now, but I think it's still good for a laugh. Any time you have your cranky pants on and some time to kill, take a look at the newest Fails and I can almost guarantee you'll cough up at least a giggle.

0 comments: